Minis Gallery
It is currently 05/23/18 6:36:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Pathfinder set: Jungle of Despair
PostPosted: 02/13/18 6:55:05 pm 
Skeleton

True, I believe Paizo doesn't want to complicate things either [by making variants in their line] and I can't say I blame them. Since WOTC are already doing variants do we really Paizo to be doing the same thing? Personally, I think the current business model each company has for their own respective line is just about perfect. PFB focuses on warbands of common creature types and D&D does variants. We the consumers get to pick and choose the best of both worlds - win! Now if we could just get PFB dungeon dressing its own line already, eliminate D&D invisibles altogether (after eight full sets do we really need more of these things?), and replace all those vacant slots with brand new miniatures (meaning actual monsters) then that would be perfect :cool:

But I digress, in regards to the OP I think this new Clay Golem is pretty cool. I actually like the look, and like BB said, it could easily double as an avatar of Anubis. My only criticism, and it's a small one, is that the mini itself looks to be a little too small. Don't get me wrong, in terms of scale it's probably right in line with the measurements given in the Bestiary stat block, but I was really hoping it would be LARGE like the Flesh Golem they released in Rusty Dragon Inn (man, that thing was imposing!). That aside, it's still a hit in my book and I wouldn't mind getting a few of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/13/18 7:17:42 pm 
Charon

champion: Huge Aboleth
I really like the variety of invisibles put out so far. Our gaming group goes to the invisibles bin all the time. Have we used them all? No. But being able to find a reasonable proxy for each party member has made it all worth while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/13/18 7:40:25 pm 
Lurker

BB Shockwave wrote:
That's odd, I thought unlike old D&D minis, Wizkids is not concerned with paint steps matching rarity? I mean some Common minis have so many paint steps as old Rares, and some Rares are just 2 colors. :D But good to know the explanation.

It's not a 1:1 relationship between paint steps and rarity, but it does factor in. A given set can only cost so much to produce, so there is a finite limit to the total paint steps for the entire set. Sometimes things can be juggled as you indicate, but not every time. WizKids have been incredibly flexible with us in making every figure of every rarity as high quality as possible, but sometimes they do tell us we need to make sacrifices on other figures in order to get what we want on specific ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 11:20:10 am 
Skeleton

champion: Solar
A few thoughts on this preview and pathfinder minis in general:

1. The sculpt for the clay golem is great; the annubis vibe works well. It does look to be small. Clay golems are 8' tall, as are flesh golems, according to the bestiaries. Accounting for the hunching over, this minis should not stand any shorter than the flesh golem.

2. The coatl and the druid are both good minis. The druid fits his role and looks the part, useful as either a PC or NPC. The coatl is not as useful unless the PCs are evil, but there are enough baddies out there that can assume a new form where a few of them could masquerade as coatls if it serves their purposes. Of course, one could just be helpful, too.

3. The dryad and the nymph are both misses, as neither captures what the creatures are. A forest spirit wearing high heels? Why the WOW ears and starfish on the nymph? Was this sculpt initially planned for something else?

4. Dungeon dressing is great and useful, however, the delivery method leaves much to be desired. Getting one or two of something useful (e.g chests, lamp stands) and needing more is frustrating with the singles market for their pieces being overinflated due to lack of supply. What could add to an encounter then gets passed over if a partial setup looks worse than no setup. The dungeon dressing pawns are a great, albeit 2D, solution for some of this.

5. Warbands are fantastic. Keep it going: more lizardmen, trogs, gnolls, hobgoblins (including oni), giants, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 1:41:34 pm 
Lurker

I want to apologize in advance if this post is jumbled. I have followed the board for years, but haven't really been a poster.

I stumbled across this and thought people might find this interesting. If it is true, it has been the biggest secret out there.

Quote:
WizKids Miniatures: Fantasy Terrain - Painted Pools & Pillars (Set 1)
WIZKIDS/NECA
Add dynamic scenery to your tabletop game or collection with WizKids` newest painted miniatures release - Fantasy Terrain: Pools & Pillars. This boxed set contains 24 beautifully crafted miniature figures featuring an assortment of pools, pillars, and pressure-fit accessories. Customize your scenes with interchangeable, pressure-fit parts like torches, banners, or a mounted deer head.
MSRP: $39.99 Street Date:03/28/2018

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 3:34:33 pm 
Deathknight

champion: Marrashi - Vodyanoi
Ecthelion wrote:
A few thoughts on this preview and pathfinder minis in general:

1. The sculpt for the clay golem is great; the annubis vibe works well. It does look to be small. Clay golems are 8' tall, as are flesh golems, according to the bestiaries. Accounting for the hunching over, this minis should not stand any shorter than the flesh golem.

2. The coatl and the druid are both good minis. The druid fits his role and looks the part, useful as either a PC or NPC. The coatl is not as useful unless the PCs are evil, but there are enough baddies out there that can assume a new form where a few of them could masquerade as coatls if it serves their purposes. Of course, one could just be helpful, too.

3. The dryad and the nymph are both misses, as neither captures what the creatures are. A forest spirit wearing high heels? Why the WOW ears and starfish on the nymph? Was this sculpt initially planned for something else?

4. Dungeon dressing is great and useful, however, the delivery method leaves much to be desired. Getting one or two of something useful (e.g chests, lamp stands) and needing more is frustrating with the singles market for their pieces being overinflated due to lack of supply. What could add to an encounter then gets passed over if a partial setup looks worse than no setup. The dungeon dressing pawns are a great, albeit 2D, solution for some of this.

5. Warbands are fantastic. Keep it going: more lizardmen, trogs, gnolls, hobgoblins (including oni), giants, etc.

1. Actually, 5E D&D now turned Flesh Golems back to medium sized! It... sort of makes sense. I mean, they are based on Frankenstein's Monster, and they are made form human parts, so even if they would around 2 meters tall, their arms and legs would not be that much thicker than a muscular human's. I am actually fine with this change.
2. Yeah I guess a good creature is not as useful if you just get minis for a tabletop play (same deal as the Lillend last time.)
3. Much agreed. My guess is, we can say she once saw a noble lady passing through, and made herself high heel shoes from vines as an imitation? :D
4. When a crate or barrel mini costs 10$, then yeah, we have a problem. I really wish Paizo released these separately, same as their Iconic NPCs. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

Btw, one thing I am hoping we will get in this set finally is a Large Uncommon Weretiger. (If possible, based on the artwork for Tos Katun from Jade Regent ;))

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 3:42:46 pm 
Deathknight

champion: Marrashi - Vodyanoi
Wysteriah wrote:
I want to apologize in advance if this post is jumbled. I have followed the board for years, but haven't really been a poster.

I stumbled across this and thought people might find this interesting. If it is true, it has been the biggest secret out there.

Quote:
WizKids Miniatures: Fantasy Terrain - Painted Pools & Pillars (Set 1)
WIZKIDS/NECA
Add dynamic scenery to your tabletop game or collection with WizKids` newest painted miniatures release - Fantasy Terrain: Pools & Pillars. This boxed set contains 24 beautifully crafted miniature figures featuring an assortment of pools, pillars, and pressure-fit accessories. Customize your scenes with interchangeable, pressure-fit parts like torches, banners, or a mounted deer head.
MSRP: $39.99 Street Date:03/28/2018

The image link is broken, but thanks, this is no secret, we have known about it for a while. Here is the thread for it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5890

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 4:31:35 pm 
Skeleton

champion: Solar
BB Shockwave wrote:
1. Actually, 5E D&D now turned Flesh Golems back to medium sized! It... sort of makes sense. I mean, they are based on Frankenstein's Monster, and they are made form human parts, so even if they would around 2 meters tall, their arms and legs would not be that much thicker than a muscular human's. I am actually fine with this change.

That would make sense, with the flesh golem towering over other medium figures. There is another opportunity to have multiple options between the two lines.

In Pathfinder, both the flesh and clay are supposed to be 8' tall, the minimum for large bipedal creatures. But on the table that will look underwhelming. Think how the minis looked in H&M. A golem should be an imposing guardian/enforcer. The flesh golem mini is, I would like to see the clay golem, of which I an a fan, follow suit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/15/18 2:10:25 am 
Skeleton

Of the newer previews:
Skull Pole - No. No interest.
Pit Trap - Yes. VERY useful; I'll probably try to get a few.
Anvil - No. Not something that would even register on my radar.
Chest - Maybe. Got boxes already, but it's a different design.
Couatl - No. Don't use 'em; don't need one.
Dryad - Yeah, high heels and all; but I probably won't be using her as a dryad.
Nymph - No. Silver skin, uber-long ears, leg starfish ... BLECH!!
Elf Druid - Hell yeah! Best of the lot.
Clay Golem - No. Don't like the 'Egyptian' flavour, and don't really use 'em anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/17/18 1:39:13 am 
Revenant

Well, well, well another preview! Yipppee (no sarcasm -I love previews).

Coatl: I have all previous ones and have used them on only rare occasions, but this one looks sweet! Love the vibrant colors, as should be with a couatl. I like the face and the way its tail is wrapped around the post! No issues at all from me and great job on the figure!!!

Dryad: Good and bad, but much more bad. OMG why the heels! It's been said before but I'd love an answer as to why it was felt that they should be wearing high heeled shoes. It just looks ridiculous even with them being green and trying to placate us! Stop, not good and almost embarrassing! I'm never this critical, but this requires it. I want an answer as to the reason why this was chosen!

Nymph: I think it's a beautiful mini and have no issue with the long ears, but my first thought was the same..."why the starfish on the leg"? I like the seductive, yet covered look of the figure to help represent what a nymph is like as best as possible.

Elf Druid: Nice

Clay Golem[u]: Initially was like "WTF is that?" However, when I came to relax and realize golems such as this can be made in any shape or form I LOVE IT! Absolutely fantastic!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/17/18 2:32:15 pm 
Citizen

Hi - just found a nice clear image of the booster

http://cdn.paizo.com/image/product/cata ... K73275.jpg

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/17/18 4:41:10 pm 
Zombie

champion: Cloakers
Hey, flying tigers!!!!!

They're Grrrrrreat!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/17/18 10:03:06 pm 
Zombie

looks like it says "Morlock Cleric"; nice find!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/18/18 8:10:07 pm 
Revenant

So while Pathfinder set previews are good verses no previews at all like we get most of the time from the D&D line. I have come to relized that I wish Paizo was still doing the Pathfinder Battles miniatures from WizKids blog entry of Fridays.

When it was on Fridays it felt like something to look forward to at the end of the week, plus if it had something truely awesome or useful to my players I was more likely to show it to my gaming buddies during the weekend games. Now that it comes out on Monday I sometimes forget about it and by the time the weekend rolls around I do not even think about showing them off to my players. Perhaps it is because I am not the kind of person who tweets or shares things all the time on Facebook but I just think Fridays were a better day to show off new minis.

Either way it is not the end of the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/18/18 8:41:01 pm 
Charon

But, but, but...

If that was the case we wouldn’t be getting a preview tomorrow! :whistle:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next