Minis Gallery
It is currently 07/16/18 2:03:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pathfinder Battles Set : Kingmaker
PostPosted: 04/16/18 6:29:15 pm 
Charon

champion: Huge Aboleth
Mr. Moreland has pushed us smack dab into the next Pathfinder Battles set, even before Jungle of Despair is released. We’re getting the other two Elemental Lords as the case incentive, and I must say the Earth Elemental Lords rocks! :whistle:

There’s a lot more in the kickoff preview of Kingmaker, and it sounds like the previews will keep on rolling with some Deep Cuts minis mixed in. So many minis, life is good.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pathfinder Battles Set : Kingmaker
PostPosted: 04/16/18 7:14:26 pm 
Huecuva

champion: Dorsain
OMG! Its gorignak! lol

Damn it I want my Death Tyrant Beholder mini!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:08:53 pm 
Revenant

Water elemental lord or is it water elemental lady :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:50:59 pm 
Zombie

That was pretty unexpected! Also in the preview we have the Troll Leader (L,U):

and Nyrissa from the First World (M, R):

followed by the bat swarm (M,C)

the werewolf (M,U):

(Mike says these two haven't been done before but IIRC, there was a werewolf in Heroes and Monsters) and Oni Mage (L, U)

Rounding out the preview is a "companion" from the video game incarnation of this AP: the half-orc magus Regongar (M,R):

He closes by mentioning that all kinds of previews are coming including Starfinder. Next up is the next wave of Deep Cuts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/16/18 11:14:25 pm 
Skeleton

That huge earth elemental is flipping sweet!
The prices for the large rares is fairly nuts; I've wanted the earth ones because they would make great Thommils (Rashemi earth spirits)

The troll isn't half bad, either :mrgreen:

The unique nymph is, um, interesting. Those thorns don't make me think "cuddly." Nymphs should be cuddly. :scheme:

The Oni is sweet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:18:51 am 
Huecuva

champion: Dorsain
kodiakbear wrote:
Water elemental lord or is it water elemental lady :?

lady thulu lol

Damn it I want my Death Tyrant Beholder mini!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:28:09 am 
Deathknight

champion: Marrashi - Vodyanoi
Okay I am surprised... guess they will be doing sets for their older adventure lines now? I think Kingmaker was one of the old ones (they kinda mesh together for me as I only read them all in one go 1-2 years ago).
The Earth Lord is rather meh for me, the head is just too... symmetrical. Also what's with the grass spike collar?
The Water Lady is... surprising. Watery boobage? :D I do like that it seems swept-up people and debris is inside her body, but the weird lovecraftian head is not something I'd expect on an elemental.

That werewolf is amazing. I have the Heroes and Monsters but well, that whole set is rather "crude", more like Reaper than the later PFB style when their found their own "in-house style". This is more like it!
The Oni/Ogre Mage is supreme as well, really love the detail on the armor.
War Troll is weird... Does not look much like previous PFB Trolls, and what's with the bones grown into his shoulder?
Nyrissa I remember, and she looks excellent. A far better Dryad than the Jungle of Despair one. I guess I will use her as a Hamadryad.
Bats are adorable, interesting way how they are interconnected. Of course, remains to be seen how the paint will look on the actual mini for such tiny things.
Half orc is too anime-ish, but then again I never would use a wizard half-orc... they are best suited to be barbarians or fighters, clerics at most, with the skill penalties they get.

ksbsnowowl wrote:
That huge earth elemental is flipping sweet!
The prices for the large rares is fairly nuts; I've wanted the earth ones because they would make great Thommils (Rashemi earth spirits)
The unique nymph is, um, interesting. Those thorns don't make me think "cuddly." Nymphs should be cuddly. :scheme:

I have actually removed the Large Elementals from my want list, their prices are crazy. Never understood why they made them rare, in the first place, unlike IotR in Elemental Evil.
As I recall, she is evil and maybe infected with some demonic fungus, or maybe I am confusing her with ANOTHER fey lady who was in the hobgoblin-centered adventure path recently... But frankly with her being so plant-like I think she makes a better Dryad than Nymph - the latter are never described as being plantlike, but more elf/human like.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 1:51:44 pm 
Charon

champion: Huge Aboleth
BB Shockwave wrote:
... I have actually removed the Large Elementals from my want list, their prices are crazy. Never understood why they made them rare, in the first place, unlike IotR in Elemental Evil. ...

I remember the expense it took to get an extra of each one after my case purchase, even right after they were released! I imagine that the sheer volume of material to make these minis played into their rarity, they weigh a ton! It’s too bad, as I do consider them the best elementals so far.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 4:55:20 pm 
Skeleton

Not sure what world or game that water elemental is supposed to feature in. Cthulhu and breasts? Why is a being of elemental water going to manifest mammalian sex organs? IMO worst case incentive I've ever seen, and I strongly dislike the prior holder of that title, Ms. Guh.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 6:15:46 pm 
Morhg

champion: Shoosuva
BB Shockwave wrote:

That werewolf is amazing. I have the Heroes and Monsters but well, that whole set is rather "crude", more like Reaper than the later PFB style when their found their own "in-house style". This is more like it.

The Heroes and Monsters Werewolf is actually a slightly modified Mage Knight sculpt, the Frost Wolf:

So they have definitely come a long way!

PostPosted: 04/17/18 8:11:48 pm 
Citizen

Longform wrote:
Not sure what world or game that water elemental is supposed to feature in. Cthulhu and breasts? Why is a being of elemental water going to manifest mammalian sex organs? IMO worst case incentive I've ever seen, and I strongly dislike the prior holder of that title, Ms. Guh.

Agreed on both counts.
The earth elemental is also a bit lackluster, IMHO. I've been contemplating getting the other 2 elemental lords, but I think I'll just pass on all of them.

That said, it's cool that we'll finally be getting some previews for the unpainted line (even if we've probably seen all the images on these boards already). Too bad nobody at WotC or Wizkids is doing a parallel set of previews of the Nolzur's line or the non-Pathfinder-branded Deep Cuts stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 8:23:07 pm 
Skeleton

Every one of these is a must-have for me. Compare that Earth Elemental to the similar, yet inferior Earth Titan from Against the Giants.

That Oni will be a Large-sized Hobgoblin for my campaign (my Hobgoblin's have a significant Asian cultural bent to them).

The Troll Leader is jaw-dropping. Kinda has a Mordor/LotR vibe to him.

The Water Elemental looks extremely chaos-tinged. There's people and a sword inside of her?? I like her. Very much captures the "savage seas" motif.

I hope the bats are as detailed as the CGI version. I'll get multiples for my gothic campaign components.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:17:37 pm 
Deathknight

champion: Marrashi - Vodyanoi
I just realized, the Bat Swarm is a Medium? explains why there are fewer bats inside it... but odd, considering just one Bat is on a Small base. You'd need to use several of these to surround a guy.

Berk the Black wrote:
BB Shockwave wrote:
... I have actually removed the Large Elementals from my want list, their prices are crazy. Never understood why they made them rare, in the first place, unlike IotR in Elemental Evil. ...

I remember the expense it took to get an extra of each one after my case purchase, even right after they were released! I imagine that the sheer volume of material to make these minis played into their rarity, they weigh a ton! It’s too bad, as I do consider them the best elementals so far.

Why, are they so much bigger than regular Large minis? I know the Genies from that set were more Huge than Large, too.
Honestly, I did not like them much design-wise either, except for the Water Elemental, that I still want to get someday.

deutscheben wrote:
BB Shockwave wrote:

That werewolf is amazing. I have the Heroes and Monsters but well, that whole set is rather "crude", more like Reaper than the later PFB style when their found their own "in-house style". This is more like it.

The Heroes and Monsters Werewolf is actually a slightly modified Mage Knight sculpt, the Frost Wolf:

So they have definitely come a long way!

HUh! I have tons of Frost Wolves and even rebased some, and I never noticed... probably because I got the PFB mini a long time ago.
Or maybe I am confusing it with the painted Reaper Werewolf... I have that mini and the female Vampire with a gravestone...

breegull wrote:
Longform wrote:

Agreed on both counts.
The earth elemental is also a bit lackluster, IMHO. I've been contemplating getting the other 2 elemental lords, but I think I'll just pass on all of them.

That said, it's cool that we'll finally be getting some previews for the unpainted line (even if we've probably seen all the images on these boards already). Too bad nobody at WotC or Wizkids is doing a parallel set of previews of the Nolzur's line or the non-Pathfinder-branded Deep Cuts stuff.

I am contemplating getting the previous two as T&T sells them for 40$ only - but not sure on how much shipping and customs will cost me.
But yeah, I am skipping these two. I think even the AtG Earth Titan would be a better candidate, even if it has a too human-like face. Darn, I regret selling my brother's now, I could have gotten it from him...
I realized now whom the weirdly cubic (and for an elemental, oddly symmetrical and almost artificial) head reminds me of. Though at least he had eyes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/18/18 12:35:44 am 
Skeleton

Well the 2 elemental lords are a big win to me. I have no issue at all woth anthropomorphised elemntals, they are usually summoned and bent to a catsers will, it seems logcal that their form will be influenced by the casters subconscious.

I have 4 of all the large lementals, they were easy tomget and low cost when first sold directly through paizo.

The others are also great, although the werewolf is really the least necessary miniature there since we have soooo many.

The bat swarm will depend on paint job i syspect, and like all wizkids small minis will probably be a little lacklustre.

The half orc is incredible and if the actual mini is up to the usual standard of the pfb line it will look nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 04/18/18 2:05:30 am 
Revenant

Lotzakroqin wrote:
I have no issue at all with anthropomorphized elementals, they are usually summoned and bent to a casters will, it seems logical that their form will be influenced by the casters subconscious.

Caster calls forth Huge Air Elemental while thinking about clouds and tornados.

Caster calls forth Huge Earth Elemental while thinking about strong male warrior types.

Caster calls forth Huge Fire Elemental while thinking Loki in female form would look hot.

Caster calls forth Huge Water Elemental while thinking about his growing boob and Cthulhu fetishes.

Profile E-mail