Minis Gallery
It is currently 06/24/18 11:56:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Painting the D&D board game mini's
PostPosted: 05/13/18 10:11:24 pm 
Skeleton

In the next week or two my 20th level D&D party will encounter a Huge Red Dragon, as well as a Colossal Great Wyrm. In preparation for this moment, a few years ago I picked up a used Colossal Red Dragon mini for something that didn't seem like a complete raping, knowing my players would end up here.

However, with the events of the last year, I'd gotten behind in my game prep, and only just a week ago noticed that this final adventure location (planar dungeon) also has a Mature (ie - Huge) Red Dragon in it, in addition to the Colossal Great Wyrm.

One of my D&D friends has the Wrath of Ashardalon game, so I knew the Red Dragon mini in it was Huge, and was the same sculpt as the old PPM line (price check... $75 on ebay). So I went looking for that game, and was happy to find that a seller on Amazon has it on sale for $37. I purchased that in a heartbeat. I'll just use the unpainted, red plastic mini for the encounter I'll have in the coming weeks.

But, I know people have often bought the D&D board games for the purpose of painting the unpainted plastic mini's that come with them. So this site has slowly succeeded in drawing me further into the miniature hobby, and I plan to eventually paint this Huge Red Dragon, as well as many of the other minis in the board game.

I know BB Shockwave recently got his, that a friend had painted for him. It looks fantastic.

There are many other fantastic examples of this mini painted on-line, with a google search showing several different examples that are wonderful.

I know there are youtube videos that cover a lot of the basics of miniature painting. I've watched some videos of that sort, and plan to look more for others, hopefully specifically about painting these D&D board game mini's. But in case I don't find any, I was hoping some members here can provide some insight into some of the basic prep I would need to do before starting to paint mini's of this sort.

Do I need to wash them first? How? (Soap, water, and an old toothbrush?)
Do I need to prime them? (I'm assuming yes.)
What is the best method of priming a mini of this sort? What brand of product, and what type of paint tends to work best? Spray-on primer? Brush on?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this aspect of the miniatures hobby, so I'm definitely going to try my hand at one of the other mini's in the board game before I take on a task like the Huge Red Dragon. But any beginner pointers would be appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Painting the D&D board game mini's
PostPosted: 05/14/18 9:39:31 am 
Captain Proxy

ksbsnowowl wrote:
What brand of product, and what type of paint tends to work best? Spray-on primer? Brush on?
Washing is recommended (soap/water is fine).
Definitely prime.
I'm a fan of Army Painter spray primers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/14/18 11:07:21 am 
Skeleton

mvincent wrote:
Definitely prime.
I'm a fan of Army Painter spray primers

Excellent. Thank you for pointing me toward this product. I read last night that red is a bit counter-intuitive to paint and highlight, because what you would do with any other color (mix white to get a lighter version of the color for highlights and dry brushing) you can't do with red, because it just ends up pink. The key seems to be starting with a dark red-brown color for your base, and working up to less-brown reds as you build color and depth. If you want to get a few "pop" highlights on top of your pure red, a red-orange is the way to go.

All that to say, the Chaotic Red primer on the page you linked to seems like it will be an excellent primer/base coat for the Huge Red Dragon in the game. I also plan to paint the cultists somewhat similarly to the old DDM version, which was primarily a purplish maroon; maybe I'll shoot for something closer to the cloak color of the Blood of Vol Divinity Seeker. The chaotic red will likely be a decent primer for those as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/14/18 4:27:42 pm 
Captain Proxy

ksbsnowowl wrote:
red is a bit counter-intuitive to paint and highlight,l.
I've had excellent luck with priming and "Dip". That is: prime with bright red, paint a few details (mainly white), then cover it with Army painter quickshade (or more affordably: minwax polyshades tudor), then use a matte finish spray to take off the shine. The Dip shading method makes even poorly painted minis look good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/14/18 5:21:43 pm 
Skeleton

mvincent wrote:
I've had excellent luck with priming and "Dip".

I was just reading up on that a bit last night. What I read recommended painting the minwax on, rather than actually dipping the mini in it. Given that, what difference is there between the Dip, and a wash with a dark brown paint? I'd read that the minwax dip provides a very strong protective layer, that prevents chipping, etc. I realize a simple wash wouldn't provide that protection. Aside from that, are the visual effects of the Dip and a brown wash similar, or significantly different?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/14/18 10:20:50 pm 
Mummy

Quote:
What is the best method of priming a mini of this sort? What brand of product, and what type of paint tends to work best? Spray-on primer? Brush on?

I don't know what kind of plastic they used for the game, so it might be a good idea to test it first (and if anyone has experience, I defer to your knowledge). Just use some masking tape and cover the mini leaving the bottom of the base exposed and give it a dose of primer. Leave it a day or so, and then give it a touch-test to make sure it's not sticky.

"Normal" polystyrene (GW, Wyrd, and others) usually isn't a problem but, for example, Reaper's Bones line can be very temperamental about what is used to prime it.

PostPosted: 05/15/18 10:28:33 pm 
Captain Proxy

ksbsnowowl wrote:
are the visual effects of the Dip and a brown wash similar, or significantly different?
Dip has a glossy finish, so a matte spray is desired afterwards. It seeps very well into cracks... I haven't used washes, but I assume they are formulated to do the same (i.e. have a bit of soap in them to break surface tension, allowing them to seep into cracks)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/15/18 10:28:47 pm 
Captain Proxy

ksbsnowowl wrote:
are the visual effects of the Dip and a brown wash similar, or significantly different?
Dip has a glossy finish, so a matte spray is desired afterwards. It seeps very well into cracks... I haven't used washes, but I assume they are formulated to do the same (i.e. have a bit of soap in them to break surface tension, allowing them to seep into cracks)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/16/18 7:28:57 pm 
Skeleton

FYI the promo mini ashardalon red dragon is painted and identical to huge red dragon, while often cheaper. Here about 35.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2968347711

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 05/16/18 10:34:49 pm 
Citizen

For the red dragon, I definitely recommend a red primer, because it'll save you a huge step. Red is hard to paint over white or black (often ends up pink or too dark, respectively), and even over gray it usually takes multiple coats to look really red. If you wanted to, you could just spray prime the red (use multiple light coats, letting it dry between coats), add a few details like claws, teeth, horns, chest scales, and be done with the painting part.

I also recommend either
A) The army painter polyurethane quickshade (the "dip", but like you said you just brush it on), which comes in various shades of brown. Don't do minwax, just get the stuff that's actually meant for minis. Minwax can end up way too dark and sludgey, and ruin the mini, if you don't know how to thin it properly with solvents as needed. It's just not worth the risk on a big mini IMHO.

B) Army painter acrylic washes that I think they also call quickshade, which come in multiple different colors. That would allow you do, for example, an ochre toned shading on yellow/white belly scales/teeth/horns/claws, and a burgundy or reddish-brown shading on the red parts of the dragon. Personally I think having different shading tones makes the paint job look a bit more advanced. But you would then need a separate sealant product afterwards; any brush-on matte acrylic sealant from a craft store should work fine.

Whatever you choose, the red dragon is a good project for a beginner, and I'm sure it'll turn out great! It sounds like you're on the right track with your painting research. Your red highlighting recap is spot-on.

Profile E-mail