- Origanum vulgare (oregano) oil is a product manufactured from the origanum vulgare (oregano) plant. It has a higher concentration of the plant’s naturally occurring beneficial chemicals.
- This oil can be taken orally, contrasting oregano essential oil, which is much more powerful and utilised in aromatherapy.
- One important thing to remember is that these oils cannot be ingested through the mouth.
- Many diseases and ailments can be helped by using oregano essential oil as an oral supplement or topically.
- Many of the advantages are due to the antioxidant and antibacterial qualities of the oil’s compounds.
- Before taking oregano oil, there are certain dangers and potential difficulties to consider, and it may not be suited for everyone. This article discusses ten of oregano essential oil’s most potential health effects.
What is oil of oregano, exactly?
- Oil of oregano leaves and smaller stems contain considerable amounts of important compounds.
- The plant materials is steam-distilled to eliminate as many contaminants as possible after the leaves and stems have been dried.
- Carvacrol, the major active ingredient in oregano oil, and a form of antioxidant called a phenol called thymol, which may help guard against toxins and combat fungal infections, are both found in oregano oil.
- While oil of oregano contains a large quantity, thymol is found in the highest concentration in thyme.
Benefits of Oregano Oil
- Oil of oregano may aid in the battle against germs due to its high quantities of carvacrol.
- Staphylococcus, for example, is a common form of bacterium that causes staph infection. Some bacteria types are found naturally in the body, but when they proliferate too fast, they can create unpleasant symptoms.
- Carvacrol has been shown to be efficient in killing the germs Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis, which are two of the most prevalent causes of infection.
- These antimicrobial benefits can be aided by taking oregano oil supplements or putting it on the skin.
- Researchers are also looking at using oregano essential oil to treat germs that are resistant to antibiotics.
- A combination of oil of oreganol and silver nanoparticles completely killed all of the germs examined, according to the authors of research published in Frontiers in Microbiology.
- Oregano oil may aid in the treatment of persistent bacterial disorders like SIBO.
- More study is needed to investigate the particular impacts of each chemical, but these first findings are promising.
- It can be viewed as a good antifungal agent because of the high concentration of thymol.
- Thymol was proven to be an effective therapy for common Candida fungal infections in a 2015 study.
- However, the study was done in test tubes, and further human trials are needed to determine the usefulness of oregano essential oil.
- Oregano essential oil is an antioxidant as well.
2. Skin based
- Oregano oil, according to some research, can help reduce inflammation.
- A review of research on carvacrol’s anti-inflammatory capabilities was published in 2017.
- The chemical decreased obesity in mice in one research via altering inflammation-related genes. The chemical was shown to minimise oedema in another animal research.
- While the findings are encouraging, the researchers are calling for further human trials to identify a safe dose.
- Compounds like thymol and carvacrol may help to prevent bacterial infections in these sorts of wounds.
3. Pain alleviation and insect revelation
- An extract of oregano was proven to give pain alleviation in an animal investigation.
- The pain alleviation was dose-dependent: the more the animals consumed, the less pain they experienced.
- More human research might aid in determining an optimal dosage.
- Both carvacrol and thymol have insect repellant properties. Some ticks and mosquitos were repelled by these substances, according to a study published in 2017.
- The research involved both test tube and human participant trials.
- More study is needed to prove this possible benefit, but using diluted oregano essential oil on the skin may be an effective natural insect repellent.
4. Cancer healing properties
- The agent present in oregano oil has properties that seem to help in removing cancer cells.
- This has been tested and shown in different organs in test tubes such as the lung, liver and also breast cancer cells.
- This shows up of potential improvement in this department for a brighter future.
- Although this is an interesting study, no human studies have been conducted, necessitating more research.
5. Misc properties
- Oregano essential oil may help with weight loss due to the carvacrol component in oregano.
- Mice were fed a normal diet, a high-fat diet, or a high-fat diet with carvacrol in one research. Those who received carvacrol in addition to a high-fat diet acquired much less weight and body fat than those who only received a high-fat diet.
- Furthermore, carvacrol appeared to halt the series of events that can result in fat cell development.
- It’s a good idea to have this oil in your collection for cleaning DIYs, especially during the cold and flu season.
- Can aid in the relief of pain caused by aching or ageing joints.
- When you’re congested, it also works as an expectorant.
- Has antifungal qualities that can aid in the treatment of skin blemishes and other issues.
- It’s a potent oil that should be used with caution and only for serious problems.
What is your favourite way to utilise oregano essential oil?
Oregano oil comes in a variety of forms, including:
- Oregano Tincture: Oregano oil is mixed with alcohol to retain the medicinal ingredients, which are then used orally to cure ailments.
- Oregano Essential Oil: This is a much more concentrated type of oregano oil that is designed for aromatherapy use only and should never be consumed. To receive the fresh scent, add a few drops of oregano essential oil to a diffuser or a bowl of hot water, or add a few drops to any ordinary oil, such as coconut oil, and apply to the skin.
- Oregano Capsules: Oregano essential oil capsules are used orally, however they should never be taken in excess of the recommended dosage on the package.
- Make sure to check for any allergies to the oil.
- Take medical issues into account before using the oil.