Minis Gallery
It is currently 08/21/18 8:38:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: D&D Icons of the Realms Set 7: Tomb of Annihilation
PostPosted: 09/17/17 1:46:14 pm 
Mummy

champion:
Or Grung! I would have loved to see those adorable evil little tree frog people.
Especially now that I found them in a 2E Greyhawk Monster Manual appendix! If it existed in 2E, that means I need a mini of it. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/18/17 8:44:45 am 
Lurker

Or Grungs, yeah! Would have been easy to do 1 sculpt and then 2 or 3 brightly coloured variants. I have plenty of bullywugs, but it won't be quite the same.

Anyway, you might be interested in today's ENWorld article () on the grung and other ToA monsters like the flail snail and froghemoth. They do a serious deep dive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/18/17 9:52:15 am 
Charon

champion:
Great article! knowingnwhere to find the stats for those creatures in the various editions of D&D is wonderful. It's also neat to see how they have evolved over time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 09/18/17 4:07:18 pm 
Mummy

champion:
Love the new art too. Also, gives me hope that we will see the Almiraj as a mini too in the future! :)
So far have not found the adventure in PDF, but will share pics of the new monsters when I find it. I assume the Zorbo is also based on its new illustration.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 10/31/17 9:40:04 am 
Skeleton

One thing that (I think) hasn't been pointed out yet (enough) is how much this sets supports the D&D adventure of the same name. Of the 44 miniatures (I'm not counting invisibles and variations), 36 appear as creatures in the adventure (this includes the orcs, even though they still seem unnecessary). Of the 8 remaining miniatures, 4 are either an advanced version/relative of a creature appearing in the adventure (Duodrone, Ultroloth) or make perfect sense in the adventure's environment (Merrow, Marilith). Only 4 miniatures (Redcap, Werebear, Draegloth, Minsc and Boo) seem out of place. This is IMHO a huge step up from Rage of Demons and Storm King's Thunder, which were only loosely coupled to the respective D&D adventures.

There are still a few important minis missing and I expect to see at least some of these in upcoming sets. I put them in what I think is the order of importance for running the adventure with minis.

The following minis would be immensely helpful for running the adventure:

1. Grungs (colorful little frog people, not having these REALLY hurts because they are important)
2. Medium-sized Flesh Golem (preferably in plate armor, but that may be too adventure-specific)
3. Mephits tied to TWO elements (e.g. Steam, these seem to come up again and again in adventures but I'm not aware of any matching minis in PPM)
4. Froghemoth (I'm totally expecting to see one of those in the future because it's the kind of monster that Chris Perkins seems to love)
5. A zombie dinosaur (preferably a T-Rex)
6. Advanced Modrons (I bet there will be some in the next few sets)

The following minis would also considerably add to the flavor:

7. Giant Constrictor Snake (adventure module designers seem to love those - a version that could actually hold a medium sized mini would be totally awesome)
8. Assassin Vine or Yellow Musk Creeper (would be much higher in the list if the Plant Vine from DCM didn't exist :))
9. Thorny (vegepygmy pet, used in just about every vegepygmy encounter)
10. Giant Strider (firenewt mount, probably not going to be made because it's so specific)
11. Albino Dwarf (also used quite often, but mostly for non-combat encounters)
12. Chwinga (tiny elemental spirit, comes up a lot but is not used in any combat encounter)

The following minis are nice to have but I'm not expecting to see them anytime soon:

13. Atropal (used as a mini boss in the adventure, but I can't see how this is ever getting a mini because it is huge and ugly - I bet the Chief Ghu effect told Wizkids a lesson ;))
14. Tribal Warrior (there are some problematic troves associated with these, so I don't expect them to be made)
15. Some smaller apes/monkeys (maybe a Flying Monkey which seems to be the most fun version of the bunch)
16. Eblis (large evil cranes, probably not interesting enough as a miniature)
17. Almi Raj (aka unicorn rabbit, strictly non-combat I guess, but my feeling is that the adventure designers REALLY want you to encounter one)

There are still about two dozen exotic miniatures that don't really stand out IMHO and can probably be easily replaced with something else. For a 260-pages adventure in an exotic environment, it's pretty impressive how much has been already covered. Regular dinosaurs and giant turtles are readily available as regular toys, so I didn't count those. For the first time in a long while, I have a feeling that the adventure module has been designed with miniatures in mind.

IMHO there are really only two encounters that an unhealthy number of hard-to-get large miniatures:

- An uninspiring fight against 10 (!) minotaur skeletons that really makes me wonder why we didn't get a matching uncommon mini
- An iconic encounter with 4 four-armed gargoyles that can be prevented completely by solving a trivial puzzle

Most notably, we get a lot of mileage out of the Yuan-Ti from Storm King's Thunder. It may be coincidence, but the way only a low number of Malisons of each type are used in the majority of the Yuan-Ti encounters makes me think that the adventure designers put some thought into making the adventure module playable with minis.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 11/01/17 11:01:12 am 
Lurker

I agree (and previously mentioned) that this set is very tightly integrated with adventure. What I hadn't really noticed (that you have pointed out) is that they appear to be spreading support for a given adventure among multiple sets.

Your example of the Yuan-ti from the Storm King's Thunder set also supporting Tomb of Annihilation is a good one, and I went looking for some other ones. Monster Menagerie II provides Uthgardt Barbarians for SKT, and the Half Gold Dragon Sorcerer for ToA. Monster Menagerie I provides many undead for Curse of Strahd, as well as the Yeti and Young Remorhaz for SKT. Others have noted that Monster Menagerie III appears to include a Goblin Hucker and a Mouth of Grolantor from SKT. As you say, it would be great to get additional support for ToA, and with it being a Huge set, a Froghemoth and a (zombie?) dinosaur would make me a lot more satisfied.

Also very encouraging for those running ToA is Pathfinder's announcement of their Jungle of Despair set. While these are less likely to match up exactly to encounters, they will obviously provide more options for substitutions or random encounters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 12/30/17 7:41:30 am 
Mummy

champion:
Finally got my set from my american friend. Here are just a few pics of the lot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 01/30/18 8:01:54 pm 
Mummy

champion:
Dunno where else to post this - if anyone wanted that zombie T-Rex, then here is your chance, Gale Force 9 is making an unpainted one!
http://www.gf9-dnd.com/miniatures/tabid ... ombie.aspx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/13/18 8:26:23 pm 
Mummy

champion:
So, I know I am late with this, but it's something I wanted to do anyway - on with the review of the set!
Others have already done comparisons, so I am just doing close-up photos. Pics are hotlinked, click on the thumbnail to see the bigger version.

01 - Redcap (Small, Common)

Up until recently, I never thought Redcaps were ever in D&D - I thought they were a too specific folklore creature something more suited for Pathfinder. Imagine my surprise when I ran into them while reading the AD&D Ravenloft Monster manual - except, they are called Powries there and are a sub-race of the Arak, evil fey creatures native to Ravenloft .
The mini is simply put, amazingly detailed. From the dwarf-like grumpy face with the distinctive red cap, to the iron-shod boots (probably taken from another british folklore fey creature, Spring-Heeled Jack) and the wicked scythe they hold, just perfect.

02 - Batiri Goblin (Small, Common)

We have had many Goblins in Icons of the Realms already (4 to be exact), but as this is a new jungle setting in Chult, they gave us what are basically tribal jungle Goblins. They have oddly elongated foreheads and tie their hair in a knot, dressed in leaves and wielding odd looking daggers that look more like small spears. The color is actually more blueish green than yellowish shown here - sorry, had to use flash to get better pics. All in all, nice minis, average detail but complex enough for their size.

03 - Vegepygmy (Small, Common)

A curious race of tiny plant people, Vegepygmies we heard a lot about in adventures - especially in Pathfinder ones - but never saw minis of, until now. From the two, I really prefer the D&D design, that is more alien and plantlike - their heads are like cucumbers with eyes and leaves for hair. The mini has some rough paint applied, maybe the shiny laquer-wash is missing, but when compared to the Chieftain, you will see it lacks shine. Still, they are nice and simple, with only their loincloth (why plants even wear such a thing? :D), eyes and "hair" colored. They arm themselves with stone tipped spears - sadly, the spears tend to get bent.

04 - Zorbo (Small, Common)

A creature that makes the "Stupidest D&D Monster" list every time one is made, the funnily named Zorbo is basically what it says on the tin - EEEEVIL cuddly koala bears. But underestimate them at your peril, they are evil koala bears that destroy your magic items and steal your armor class, every adventurer's bane - losing that sweet magic loot!
The mini is... not much more than a bear-like blob with two-color fur, and piercing eyes. They have a rather mean spirited expression on their face, despite the derpy giant brow and the lazy sitting pose. I am frankly OK with this mini - it's a Zorbo, what were we expecting? I am glad to be able to chalk it up to the list of silly monsters that got minis. Now... where is my Flumph?

05A/B - Velociraptor (Small, Common)

Finally, a "proper" Velociraptor! Even though I am a biologist, I prefer - in fiction -dinosaurs to be featherless reptiles. They just look cooler that way. The Velociraptor also makes me happy for being "archeologically" accurate - don't let the Jurassic Park movies fool you, those things are Deinonychus sized, real Raptors were indeed really small - but no less deadly.
This is the first variant of the set, and both are nicely painted - 05A has an ochre underbelly with dark brown back, while 05B has beige skin with reddish stripes starting from the back. The detail is great despite their size, though their eyes are unpainted, thus the indents behind the nose are more dark than the eye sockets and give them a weird look. They also lack the raised eviscerator claw - guessing it would have been too hard to sculpt on such tiny legs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 5:36:21 am 
Worshipper

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 02/14/18 2:38:21 pm 
Mummy

champion:
Thanks, and yeah, I am aware they were in 3E. See, I am sort of a "G1 purist" in Transformers slang when it comes to D&D - I prefer creatures that originate from 1E or 2E (A)D&D. 3E added some creatures that I like and accept as good additions to the lore (Warforged, Dragonspawn, Dracotaurs) and ones I feel don't really belong to the D&D realms or I just care nothing about as I find them unoriginal or boring (Shadar-Kai, Foulspawn, Khrutik, Goliaths). And the less said about 4E's additions and changes (Angels, Archons, poor Demonized Yugoloths) the better. I only now have gotten around to reading the 4E monster manual and some of their original creations are frankly, the weakest entries in D&D history... Like, the Forsaken are just basically blind people in mummy bandages... Even Torchlight 2 did that concept much better with the (whom I frankly, would gladly see adapted to D&D.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35